Monday, June 1, 2009

Childhood dreaming pt 2, Photography then and now,

After a few years in the Minolta camp, and desperately in need of another body, (This was in the film era still) My Mom, and my Grandma, drove to lima to the Montgomery Wards store and bought me a brand new in the box Pentax P30T. I had been vainly attempting to buy a Nikon FM10 or something similar from one of the big eastern houses, but met with nary a shred of honesty in advertising, or the slightest quantum of customer service skill.  

Mom and Grandma took the chance to give me a terrific gift back in '96 and changed my viewpoint. For the rest of my time using film cameras as my primary equipment, I ran the Minolta with a 50mm Prime, or a 70-200 zoom tele, and the P30T with it's 35-70. Not the most handy kit to work out of but it go done what I needed done.  Another, 3rd? 4th? X370 spent time as my 3rd body before I parked my original X370 and switched completely to Pentax K mount. 

The end of my film era. 
A chance encounter with a Vivitar V2000 SLR in a antique store for $10 brought me back to Photography, for an all plastic shell, fully manual camera it's amazingly well done.  It took it's place in my bag beside the P30T and I went back to shooting off and one, even though the rest of the universe went digital already.  A $35 ebay buy brought me a second V2000 Body and a Vivitar 70-200mm Tele zoom.  

I also gathered up a pair of Zenit EM's and started chasing M42 mount lenses.

2009 Brought the new and the old,  A digital K110D, a classic K1000 and my infatuation with classic primes begins.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers