Monday, June 8, 2009

Into a new world.

A few short months ago, chance, and a unfortunate mistake who was then a part of my life led me to take the dive into digital. My former fiance is a photographer, I can credit her with giving me the motivation to pick up a camera again. She shoots with Cannon equipment, but lacking the needed budget I started investigating what Pentax was doing with digital.

Happily, I discovered that the latest generation of Pentax Digital SLR's use the exact same lens mount as a 1975 built K1000! Obviously this is a boon to the addiction called LBA, all the crusty old K-mount primes I can find will work on a new digital wiz-bang body.

I made the jump with a new in the box, $330 leftover K110D, it's only 6.1 megapixel, the world is headed towards 20mp as a standard, but it's a great learning tool. And all the old, odd, glass I find is useable, what a blast to make images with a Focal (K-mart) tele from 1978, locked onto a digital slr, and have them come out pretty damn good! A lot of the cheap old glass will rival the latest and greatest.

One, and it's not much of an issue for me, is that, there is no Auto Focus, no auto shutter speed, and no auto F stop this way. Pentax lets us down with the disgraceful lack of a proper match needle meter! Well...at least those of us so Luddite as to never used an auto everything SLR.

My K110D is being used as I would a K1000, set in manual, a Pentax M-series prime hung on the front, and my best judgement as a meter, photography as photography should be, I just get my pictures a lot faster!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers